The Verlaque House
The Verlaque House is a Victorian adobe of French provincial style. It was built in 1886 by French immigrant Theophile Verlaque. He had moved to San Diego in 1870. He became wealthy through ranching, land speculation, and wine production. He owned a winery on 6th Street in downtown San Diego.
Ramona's Verlaque House is one of the oldest and best preserved adobe buildings in the San Diego backcountry. It remains a rare example of an adobe French Colonial style residence in the Western United States.
The house, with its 13-foot ceilings and 18" thick walls, includes several period displays including a doctor’s office, parlor, dining room bedroom, sleeping porch, and kitchen.
The Verlaque House's wine cellar is now an exhibit space paying tribute to Ramona’s turkey days, world champion cowboy Casey Tibbs, local military members, Ramona businesses, mining in Ramona, film, photography, and much more!
Beyond the Verlaque house, the Guy B Woodward Museum includes a post office, school house, blacksmith shop, and more!
Historical Marker of the Verlaque House
Verlaque House (1886) Marker
Theophile Verlaque (1823-1913), a French immigrant, was a successful San Diego entrepreneur, saloon keeper, vintner and real estate speculator.
Verlaque was a friend of Bernard Etcheverry, a French Basque immigrant, who by 1880 owned 16,700 acres of the original Santa Maria Rancho land grant and had a thriving rancho. Verlaque and Etcheverry decided that a store and post office could be a successful venture. Verlaque's son Amos purchased two acres from Etcheverry along the stage and freight wagon road connecting San Diego and Julian. The younger Verlaque built a store and post office (1883) and the town of Nuevo (later Ramona) was born.
Verlaque decided to build a country home reminiscent of the homes of his youth in southern France and his many years spent living near the French community of St. Genevieve, Missouri. He had the home erected next to his son Amos' mercantile.
The Verlaque House is a rare example of traditional French Provincial architecture in the Western United States. The home is built on a 2 foot thick fieldstone foundation with 18 inch adobe walls, has a 45 degree truncated hip roof, an elevated veranda surrounding the house and a basement wine cellar with 7 ft. ceilings and a ramp for wine barrels.
This home was continuously owned by Verlaque descendants up until 1962 when it was purchased by Leona Ransom who wanted the home restored and preserved as a museum. In 1984, the Ransom family donated the home to the Ramona Pioneer Historical Society and it is now the centerpiece of the Guy B. Woodward Museum.
Erected 2011 by The Ramona Pioneer Historical Society, by the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, John P. Squibob Chapter #1853.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. 33° 2.711′ N, 116° 51.8′ W. Marker is in Ramona, California, in San Diego County. Marker is on Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is at this postal address: 645 Main Street, Ramona CA 92065, United States of America.